Food photo of the week

Food photo of the week
Chocolate Chip Cookies...I really like how this one came out! Proud of myself on this picture!

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pie Crust

1/2 cup butter/margarine or butter flavored shortening
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold water/ sometimes a little less



I like to cheat and use my food processor and add the butter, flour and salt. Once it looks like tiny coarse bread crumbs, slowly add in the water until a ball forms. Roll out onto a floured surface and roll out to about 1/4 inch or so. If using for a pie recipe I add in about 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar to the flour and in the flour that I use to dust the surface to be rolled on I add about 1-2 tablespoons, depending on the sweetness that I am looking for.

If you do not have a food processor than use a large fork or pastry cutter and cut the butter, flour and salt together until the look of coarse bread crumbs, slowly adding the water, until a ball forms. Then follow the instructions above for the rest.

If you do not want sweet do not add the sugar. You can also add in some fresh herbs or spices to the crusts as well. Adding cinnamon to a pumpkin pie crust is sooo yummy. To a quiche adding a little parsley and basil and sometimes oregano is a great offset too. I use fresh herbs. Cut very fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment