Food photo of the week

Food photo of the week
Chocolate Chip Cookies...I really like how this one came out! Proud of myself on this picture!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dreary Day French Onion Soup

Alright I think I am up to posting a new recipe, no pic though, sorry its a recipe from "the box". Its so dreary soup sounds good to me, and I may make this tonight with some alterations, husbands not huge on onions, but I have some tricks :) Sorry I haven't been posting lately, I have had a lot going on and then dental work to take care of!

Dreary Day French Onion Soup

(need oven safe serving bowls for this)

2 tablespoons of butter
4 cups sliced onion (I prefer red, but its your choice)
3 cups beef broth/stock
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon of cooking sherry (I have used chardonnay instead)
1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
pinch of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup soft croutons
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Melt butter in a large pot, once melted add the onions and cook until translucent, add all of the rest of the ingredients except for the croutons and cheese. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until a little thicker, about 5 minutes. Divide evenly between serving bowls top with cheese and croutons, Broil until the cheese is melted and lightly brown. Sounds sooo yummy today!! How I can cheat with the onions is when I get done sautéing them I take about 90% of them and put them in a brand new nylon, tie a knot in it and then add all the other ingredients and continue with the recipe but when you put into bowls take out the nylon filled with onion. That way the flavor is still there and the onions are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment