Food photo of the week

Food photo of the week
Chocolate Chip Cookies...I really like how this one came out! Proud of myself on this picture!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Banana French Bread Pudding

I came up with this recipe because we had some left over french bread from 10 Cheese Beef Lasagna we had the night before and some very over ripe bananas and just went with what I had in the fridge...This is what I ended up with:
1-1/2 loaves of french bread, depends on how large, just go with what you have
4 eggs
1 cup sugar, I like the taste and texture of organic sugar, almost like brown sugar but not, you can also use brown sugar in this recipe or do half brown sugar, half white sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla

2 tsp cinnamon
4 very ripe mashed bananas
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2-1 stick of melted butter, you know I used the whole stick

Break up the french bread into about 1 inch pieces, or you can be more precise and cut into cubes, I just like the different sizes and textures, place in a large baking dish so that it has room to be stirred around. Pour the melted butter over the top and BROIL with the oven door ajar and watch closely, you want some browning to occur but you need to stir around the layers as it browns so that you don't end up with burnt pieces. Unless of course that is what you like. Leave a few layers of the bread still slightly soft so you do have some really moist bites in the end result. Mix all of the other ingredients together very very well and pour over the top of the bread and lightly fluff and stir it into the bread. Bake at 300* for 45 min. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. I served it hot and with vanilla frozen yogurt, so scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment